Sunday, December 18, 2011

ITALIAN POACHED SEAFOOD SALAD

This week has been really hectic for me; I started baking my Christmas cookies and when I start to bake I lose all track of time.  So for the past couple of days, I have not posted anything, and I am sorry.  I am going to try to make up for the last couple of days and post a few different recipes between now and tomorrow. I have gotten a lot of requests for different things and lots of questions on how to do things. I am going to try answer everything by the middle of the week.

For a while I had my aunt Rosie living with me and well, it was truly an experience.  Irwin and aunt Rosie got along wonderfully and that left me as the odd person out.  She always seemed to take his side in regards to everything that went on in my house.  Irwin would get a big kick out of it.  Put the two of them together and it really spelt trouble.  Aunt Rosie really forgot that blood was thicker than water and whose relative she was.

When I cooked she sat at table in my dinette and kept me company.  She always had some input or advice on how I should or should not be doing something.  She had a fantastic sense of humor and always made the time pass quickly no matter how busy I was or how much I had to do. 

I always made this salad for Christmas day, and it took a long time to make because there are many different steps.  It is well worth the effort, because if you take your time and follow each step exactly, the end results will be more than worth it.  When I make this salad I make the court bouillon first, and when that is done I start to poach the different kinds of fish in the bouillon.  When each fish was done I would place the bowl with the poached fish on the table where aunt Rosie was sitting.  Are you with me so far? Can you see where this is going?

Well I spent some time poaching all the fish, and when I was done, I started to put the actual salad together.  When it came time to add the shrimp, they were missing in action… Yes, the shrimp bowl was empty, over two pounds of jumbo shrimp gone. I actually thought I was going nuts and that I forgot to buy the shrimp.  All the time while I am looking for the shrimp, aunt Rosie is sitting there not saying a word.  She was surprisingly very quiet, so I looked at her and asked if she knew or had anything to do with my missing shrimp??  Her answer: “I don’t know, is it my fault if you forgot to buy them?”  Well crazy I am not; a little slow, maybe, but crazy?  Nah.

It took me about ten minutes to realize, while I was poaching all the other fish, that aunt Rosie was sitting there eating the shrimp.  So that particular year we had seafood salad, without any shrimp, and for the future I’ve never left food I was preparing on the table while she was keeping me company.  This way I was sure nothing would go missing.  Aunt Rosie loved to sample whatever I made.

Many people make this salad and there a lot of recipes out there for this particular one, but this recipe is the original one for Italian poached seafood salad (thank you uncle Joey) and it is truly amazing if you take the time and follow all the steps.

ITALIAN POACHED SEAFOOD SALAD


FOR THE COURT BOUILLON

2 QUARTS WATER
½ CUP DRY WHITE WINES
2 CELERY STALKS, TRIMMED AND CUT INTO 1-INCH LENGTHS
2 MEDIUM CARROTS, PEELED AND CUT INTO 1- INCH LENGTHS
4 BAY LEAVES
PEPPERCORNS
SALT

FOR THE SALAD

16 EXTRA LARGE SHRIMP
1 POUND SMALL CALAMARI CLEANED
1 ½ MUSSELS
4 INNER STALKS CELERY SLICED THIN
2 TABLESPOONS COARSELY CHOPPED FRESH ITALIAN PARSLEY
1 TEASPOON CHOPPED GARLIC
½ CUP EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
2 TABLESPOONS WINE VINEGAR
SALT
CRUSHED HOT RED PEPPER

Make the court bouillon:  Bring the water, wine, celery, carrots, bay leaves, peppercorn, and salt to a boil in a wide casserole or skillet (it is best to use a deep pot).  Adjust the heat to simmering, cover, and cook 10 minutes.

Add the shrimp to the court bouillon and cook them until they are barley opaque in the center, about 4 minutes.  Fish the shrimp out with a wire skimmer and spread them out on a baking sheet. Don’t worries if they aren’t completely drained you’ll use some of the liquid to finish the salad.  Add the calamari and poach just until they are firm and tender, about 3 minutes.  If in doubt, bite into one ring - it should be springy but tender, not chewy or tough.  Doesn’t overcook the calamari or it will become tough.  Fish out the calamari and add them to the shrimp.

Bring the court bouillon to a boil.  Stir in the mussels, cover the pot, and cook until the shells open and the mussels are firm but not tough - about 4 minutes.  Remove with a skimmer and add to the other poached seafood; when the mussels are cool enough, pluck the meat from the shells directly into a large serving bowl.

Make the salad:  Transfer the cooled shrimp and calamari to the bowl with the mussels, shaking off any peppercorns as you do.  Add the celery, parsley, and garlic, then pour in the olive oil and vinegar.  Toss until mixed, drizzling in some of the reserved cooking liquid to taste.  Season the salad to taste with salt and crushed red pepper.  The salad should be very moist and glistening with dressing.  If not, add dash of olive oil and vinegar and a little more of the cooking liquid. Let the salad stand at room temperature about 30 minutes, tossing once or twice.  Check the seasoning and toss well just before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment