Monday, December 12, 2011

ITALIAN BOWTIE COOKIES

These are not very sweet cookies but what they are is tad bit addicting; these traditional Italian cookies were always one of our family’s favorites.  My mother’s aunt use to make them all the time and would not share the recipe, until my uncle Joe finally got the recipe from her. As I was going through Uncle Joe’s book with his handwritten recipes in it, I found this recipe. 

This year is the first time I am going to make this cookie, and I am looking forward to seeing how they turn out.  They are a perfect little “something” to snack on with your coffee or tea. They are not at all what we Americans think of as a cookie, but like I said, they are tasty!  So cook up a batch of these, call a friend, put on a pot of tea or coffee, and stay for a while.

Thanks for all the positive e-mails; I am going to start answering your e-mails this week.  For those of you who have been asking for cookie recipes for the holidays, this is going to be the last cookie recipie I publish.  I want to move on to other things, and I think everyone is on cookie over load. I posted more than enough for your holiday baking.  I have a lot of different things I want to talk about, and there is only so much time in the day.

If you love to bake then you should have enjoyed the cookie recipes I have posted the last couple of weeks.  If you only bake because you feel obligated to bake at this time of the year or because you think people are expecting cookies from you, step out of the kitchen and let someone else do the baking.  What you bake probably does not turn out well because you are only baking because it is expected of you, not because you love to bake.  Remember, not everyone can bake.

Baking is an exact science; you have to measure out each ingredient and take the time not to over mix or over beat the dough, or you will have a tough cookie.  Then comes the actual baking and decorating of the cookie - making sure the cookie is just the right color and putting the right decorations on it to turn it into a masterpiece.

If someone has a question or needs more information about a recipe I have posted please send me an e-mail; I love hearing from each and every one of you.


Italian Bowtie Cookies

INGREDIENTS

2 eggs
2 tbsp. sugar
2 cups sifted flour
2 tbsp. vanilla (I add a touch more)
Oil for frying
Powdered sugar

DIRECTIONS

Beat together the eggs and sugar in a medium size bowl until the mixture is light and fluffy. Stir in 1 1/2 cup of the flour and vanilla until blended. Shape into a ball.
Turn the dough out onto lightly floured surface. Knead until the dough is smooth and elastic - about 8 minutes; add as much of the remaining flour as necessary to prevent sticking. Cover with plastic wrap. Let rest for 5 minutes.
Divide dough into 4 equal portions. Roll 1/4 of the dough to 1/8 inch thickness, square or round. Keep remaining dough covered with plastic wrap while working with the 1/4. Cut into 5 x 1 1/2 inch strips with pastry wheel or pizza cutter. Make a lengthwise slit about 1 inch long in center of each strip. Pull one end through the slit to make a bowtie. As you work, keep bowties covered with plastic wrap. Repeat with remaining dough.
Pour oil into large frying pan or deep fryer to a depth of 4 inches. Heat oil until it registers 375 degrees on a deep, fat frying thermometer. Fry a few cookies at a time for a total of 3 minutes or until golden brown, turning once. Drain on paper towel; cool. Keep un-fried bowties covered with plastic wrap. Fry remaining cookies in small batches. Store cooled cookies in tightly covered containers. Sprinkle with powdered sugar until the cookies are completely covered.

No comments:

Post a Comment