Wednesday, January 18, 2012

HOT & SOUR SOUP

My goal of not purchasing any takeout and not eating any food unless it comes out of my kitchen is so far, so good.  It's now halfway through January and I haven't ordered any takeout.  After Irwin I developed really bad habits as far as food was concerned.  Instead of cooking, it was easier for me to order takeout, which is not a smart thing to do, especially as far as sodium content is concerned.  I did not want to deal with living and the everyday chores that went along with living.  When I order takeout it usually is Asian - either Thai or Chinese - and we all know how high the sodium content in both those cuisines are.

Getting back to cooking every night; put the control back into my hands about what I consume.  I am sure about what ingredients are being used in each dish and I can control all the variables that go into the preparation of each dish.  I happen to have a fantastic Chinese market two blocks from where I live, so a short walk in the morning and I have fresh ingredients to put a meal together.  Their selections of fresh fish and produce are amazing and the choices and combinations are endless.  You usually can find all the special Chinese ingredients to whip up anyone’s favorite takeout.

The walk to the market in the morning gets me out of the house and I get to choose from a vast array of interesting ingredients to make a meal.  I never know what I am going to put together when I go into the market; I generally see what fish and produce look good to me, then I make my selections. 

I happen to like hot and sour soup; it took me a while to get it down pat and learn about all the different ingredients, but since I did I make it all the time now.  I especially like the combination of the heat from the hot chili garlic sauce and the sour from the vinegar; every ingredient works together to create harmony in the soup, and it does not taste bad either.  Here is my version of my favorite takeout soup made fresh from my kitchen.

HOT AND SOUR SOUP

INGREDIENTS

¼ CUP CLOUDS EARS (WUN YEE)
¼ CUP LILY BUDS (GUM TZUM)
1 SQUARE FIRM TOFU, RINSED
1 QUART HOMEMADE CHICKEN BROTH
1 OUNCE PORK BUTT, SLIVERED ABOUT ¼ CUP
½ CUP CANNED SHREDDED BAMBOO SHOOTS, RINSED
2 TABLESPOONS CORN STARCH
2 TABLESPOONS CIDER VINEGAR
1 LARGE EGG, BEATEN
¼ CUP FINELY MINCED SCALLIONS
¾ TEASPOON SUGAR
½ TEASPOON GROUND WHITE PEPPER
2 TEASPOONS CHINESE HOT CHILI GARLIC SAUCE (OR TO TASTE)

DIRECTIONS

  1. Place the cloud ears and lily buds in separate bowl.  Pour about ½ cup cold water over each and soak for about 30 minutes to soften. When softened, drain each ingredient, discarding all water.  Remove the hard spots from the cloud ears and cut in half.  Remove the hard end from the lily buds and tie them into knots.  Cut the tofu into ½ inch cubes.

  1. In a 2 quart sauce pan, bring chicken broth to a boil over high heat.  Add the cloud ears, lily buds, tofu, pork, and bamboo shoots, and return to a boil.  In a small bowl, combine cornstarch, vinegar, and 1 tablespoon water.  When soup returns to a rolling boil, stir in cornstarch mixture, stirring constantly until thickened, 1 to 2 minutes.  Remove from heat stir in egg, scallions, sugar, hot chili garlic sauce and pepper Serve immediately

No comments:

Post a Comment