Thursday, October 6, 2011

FIRST QUESTION OF THE WEEK

WHEN SAUTEING DO I USE BUTTER OR OIL?

Unless you have a dietary restriction that prevents you from enjoying butter, I would say “butter every time”, but depending on the vegetable being sauteed, a combination of extra virgin olive oil and butter is nice too (try to be careful not to burn your butter and that your oil does not reach the smoke point).
If you are trying to achieve crispy edges and color an ideal combination for sauteing vegetables, mushrooms and meat or fish is 50% butter and 50% oil.  The oil will help extend the fats in the butter for sauteing and browning and raise the temperature that the solids in the butter would normally burn at.
Hope this answers your question.  Remember is you have a question or need a recipe for something send me a e mail at Chefranskitchen @yahoo.com., and I will do my best to answer it.

No comments:

Post a Comment