Sunday, October 30, 2011

BRUSSELS SPROUTS

Brussels Sprouts


One of my favorite vegetables of all times is brussels sprouts; I can eat them every day when they are in season, which is winter time.  When I first started to makes these little green cabbages, I use to saute them with bacon and onion.  I have a nephew who would not touch them.

Then one day I added some bacon to the pot along with some onion and magically they turned into his favorite vegetable - it is amazing what bacon will do. Every time I made them this way they disappeared in an instant, and I made them this way all the time when he came for dinner.  To this day I think they are the only vegetable he will eat - only if they are made with bacon.

Nowadays I make them all different ways; I still make them with bacon but I have found through the years that they taste much better roasted.  They are the one vegetable that make an appearance on my dinner table every time I see them at the grocery store. So here is one of the many ways I make brussels sprouts.

ROASTED BRUSSELS SPROUTS

 Ingredients
 1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts
 3 tablespoons good olive oil
 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Cut off the brown ends of the Brussels sprouts and pull off any yellow outer leaves. Mix them in a bowl with the olive oil , salt and pepper.

Pour them on a sheet pan and roast for 35 to 40 minutes, until crisp on the outside and tender on the inside. Shake the pan from time to time to brown the sprouts evenly. Sprinkle with more kosher salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment