Saturday, February 25, 2012

PORTOBELLO MUSHROOM PIZZA

As I have talked about before, I've made a few changes in the way I eat and the food I cook.  I have tried to eliminate meat from my diet and include more vegetarian dishes. I've eliminated all takeout food and am sticking to food that only comes out of my kitchen which I make.  So far so good; if I could eliminate the Friday night Chinese food dinners at my parents house, I would hit a home run.
One of my favorite items to make are Portobello mushrooms.  I love them; they have a rich, meaty flavor, and a great texture. They can be used in a variety of ways. They are excellent grilled, stuffed, sliced into a salad, sauteed, and they can be added to any dish to give it that extra depth of flavor as a meat substitute.
I like to make Portobello pizzas, eliminating the crust and using the mushroom cap for the crust; it makes for an interesting variation on pizza.  I cut up different vegetables into a dice and add them to the top of the pizza before I bake it, and it makes for a full, complete meal. Don’t forget to add your favorite herbs to give it that extra zing.  Basil, oregano, and Italian seasoning will all work well; it is just a matter of your own personal taste.
Try sautéing some spinach with garlic and onion, adding it to the cavity of the mushroom and topping it with your favorite cheese - not only do you have a low carb, low calorie meal, but you have a meal that is relatively inexpensive and will satisfy everyone.  This pizza does not freeze well and should be eaten on the night you make them.  Try something different: make a Portobello mushroom pizza.

PORTOBELLO MUSHROOM PIZZA

1 3-ounce Portobello mushroom, stem removed
Oil
Salt (to taste)
Garlic powder
1 tablespoon homemade marina sauce or pizza sauce
1 ounce mozzarella cheese, shredded
Toppings (sausage, pepperoni, green peppers, etc.)
Seasonings of your choice
Wipe the mushroom with a damp paper towel. Heat a little oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Place the mushroom in the hot oil, cap-side down, and cook until slightly browned. Flip to cook the gill side until almost tender, but not mushy. Drain on several sheets of paper towel to absorb as much water as possible.

Place the mushroom cap, gill-side up, on a foil-lined baking sheet; sprinkle with salt and a little garlic powder. Spread the sauce over the mushroom and then top with half of the cheese and the toppings of your choice. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and desired seasonings, broil about a minute or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment