Saturday, November 5, 2011

LAST HOORAY

This is going to be my last post, and I want to dedicate it to the one miserable person out there who has never been lucky enough to find love in their life, and so thought it'd be a good idea to send me those horrible comments.   I happened to have been blessed with a wonderful husband; there are not enough words in the dictionary to describe him or how truly magnificent he was.  In Hebrew there’s a word called "mensch" - my husband personified that word to the fullest.  For those of you who are not familiar with Hebrew, it means "all around good guy."  I don’t know how I was lucky enough to get him, but I did and he was much better than I deserved or could have ever imagined I would end up with.  I was truly blessed and thankful to be the one he chose to share his life with, and that up until the very end we were together.
There are some people in this world who are just plain miserable, who will never be blessed as I was to find that someone special to share their life with - to find a person who thinks that you are everything as Irwin always did. He made me feel special, loved and wanted, regardless of what other people thought.    No matter what they think or how much they lie to themselves, they will never find that one special person who will love them, or complete them as Irwin did for me.
They will continue to be miserable all their life and try to inflict their misery on other people by their words and actions.  Please, continue to be hateful and wallow in your own miserable existence, because all you have is your miserable existence - nothing else.  Keep on lying to yourself about what kind of life you have while I keep the treasured memories of a twenty seven year relationship with a person who not only loved me, respected me and showed me in every possible way, each and every day, how much he loved me, but who also was the salt of the earth.  I will also be comforted by the fact that you will be miserable and unhappy every day of your life, no matter how much you lie to yourself and think differently.
Every year on Irwin’s birthday, I made him his favorite cake: chocolate cake with red raspberry filling covered in chocolate ganache.  This was the one and only birthday cake he ever wanted every time (unless you happen to pick up a Carvel ice cream cake) - I would asked him what kind of birthday cake he wanted and the answer was always the same. Sometimes he would let me cover it in whip cream; his answer always was "what could be bad about whipped cream” or “it shouldn’t hurt," so every year on July 13 or the closest possible date (when everyone could get here) we had the cake.  Oh, and always the extra large size, because since I made it only once a year, he wanted it to last.
This cake recipe is the last one I am going to share with you.  Thank you for letting me share my passion and the love of food with you, and for sharing my stories of Irwin.
CHOCOLATE CAKE WITH RED RASPBERRY FILLING COVERED IN GANACHE
Ingredients
Chocolate Cake:
  • 3/4 cup cake flour
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • Pinch of baking soda
  • 6 eggs
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
Chocolate Ganache:
·         1 cup heavy cream
·         12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
To Assemble:
·         2 cups seedless raspberry jam
·         1 cup heavy cream, whipped (for decoration)
·         GarnishRaspberries
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour an 8-inch cake pan.
Cake
Into a small bowl sift together flour, cocoa powdercornstarch and baking soda. In a large metal bowl set over barely simmering water, whisk eggs and sugar with a hand-held electric beater until thick, foamy and doubled in volume. Mixture should form a ribbon when beaters are lifted. Make sure that mixture does not get too hot and curdle eggs. Remove from heat and gently fold in flour mixture until just combined. Fold in melted butter and pour into cake pan. Bake 20 minutes until cake is springy to touch. Cool in pan 10 minutes on a cake rack, turn out and cool completely.
Ganache
In a small saucepan bring cream to a boil over high heat. Remove from heat and whisk in chocolate. Let cool, stirring occasionally, until thickened, but still pourable.
Assembly: Halve cake crosswise. On a cake rack set over a baking sheet, cover bottom cake layer with raspberry jam and replace top layer.
Over center of cake pour ganache and smooth over top and sides with a palette knife until evenly coated. Let icing set, about 1 hour. To decorate, pipe whipped cream as desired, arrange raspberries.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment